our new & improved calligraphy business!

favorite blogs

12.29.2009

kitchen confessions

i hate my kitchen. i know, hate is a strong word, but not strong enough to express how i feel about our kitchen. to make matters worse, i picked out everything for our kitchen LESS THAN A YEAR AGO. our house is barely a year old, and we have lived here for 10 months. over those ten months, i kept telling myself that i would "get used to" the horrible, horrible color mistakes that i made in the kitchen. buuuut, that didn't happen; i only grew to loathe the space more and more. the room was such a beast to paint that my poor husband laughs nervously everytime i talk about my desire to re-paint the kitchen. he thinks i'm kidding. i hate it so much that i'm not going to post pictures of it, but they are obviously spread throughout this blog for anyone who wants to look at them and feel thankful for their own kitchen.

that being said, there are structural and design parts of the kitchen that i DO like. i love the dark wood cabinets, i love the picture window with window seat, i love the big open wall, i love the stainless steel appliances and i'm okay with the tile and countertops. so basically, everything i hate about my kitchen lies completely in what i have done to it. i blew it. and, anyone who knows me will know that admitting defeat is not something that i do on a regular basis.

so i have begun scouring the internet and various design magazines in hopes of finding some inspiration for our 2010 kitchen makeover that my husband still may or may not be aware of. my question to you, my dear readers, is: what online sites do you use for home decor inspiration? it is a little overwhelming to begin this search because there are SO many options. to be honest, as far as our home goes, i normally just get an idea in my head and go with it and 90% of the time, we end up loving it. our current kitchen would be the other 10%.

please answer my cry for help!! what are some of your favorite sites for inspiration?

9 comments:

Stephanie said...

I adore Young House Love - http://www.younghouselove.com/ - for ideas. It's fabulous! Like you I typically went with my guy instincts on things but got inspiration from Ikea and Pottery Barn, Crate and Barrel. Just looking at their sites and catalogs for ideas. I'd try to search design sites, but would just never find what I wanted to see!

The Pink Chick said...

I love looking in catalogs for inspiration (or their web-sites). Pottery Barn and Pier One always have great ideas. Also look at the Better Homes and Gardens web-site. They have idea rooms.

Shannon said...

On the bright side- it sounds like you want to change up the more inexpensive parts of your kitchen! :) Color palettes & design themes are waaaay cheaper than flooring, cabinetry and counter tops! I love going into Pottery Barn, looking at the designs there, and then mimicking them for less.

Mrs. C said...

I love Rate My Space on HGTV.com. Just go on the site and click on the room you want to decorate. You can sort by Top Rated, Most Recent, etc. It's a great place to find DIY ideas.

Nat said...

Here are my favorite decor/home reno sites:
allbowerpower.wordpress.com

younghouselove.com

thenester.com

apartmenttherapy.com

If it makes you feel any better I don't the paint color in a master bedroom/bathroom but I'm trying to work around it rather than repainting b/c we have vaulted ceilings so it's going to be difficult!!
Good luck in whatever you decide!

Tori and Chad said...

You absolutely HAVE to check out Young House Love but also - The DIY Blog.

JMay said...

How cute are you two!?

Looks like a fun year :-)

Cute blog, I'll be following!

xo.

http://jennymayandswede.blogspot.com/

Amber Lee said...

Houzz.com

yespromdresses said...

Once you browse through the internet, you can come across a vast collection bridal gown factory in bridesmaid dresses and even mother of the bride dresses. You can choose from bridal gowns factory a huge variety in wholesale dresses that will leave you spoilt for choice which in turn will suit each occasion in the wedding. bridesmaid dress factory